From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:41:43
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 11/08/15 06:10 AM, Sergey Popov wrote:
5 > Err, i have read the whole thread and still does not get a point,
6 > why i am wrong.
7 >
8 > It's old battle like we have beforce with "gtk" meaning "any
9 > versions of GTK flag". This behaviour should be killed with fire.
10 >
11 > Let's me reiterate some of the cases:
12 >
13 > 1. Package can be build without Qt GUI at all, but either Qt4 or
14 > Qt5 can be chosen, but not both.
15 >
16 > Fix this with REQUIRED_USE, do not enable any of Qt flags by
17 > default
21 Why does this need REQUIRED_USE at all? neither flag is necessary,
22 and just because the package only uses one flag at a time doesn't mean
23 we should require users that have both flags set in profiles to -have
24 to- package.use one of them off.
28 > 2. Package can not be build without Qt GUI - either Qt4 or Qt5 is
29 > required, but not both
30 >
31 > Same thing here, different REQUIRED_USE operator. But - enable one
32 > of the flags by default to ease life of users.
35 IUSE="qt4 +qt5" and USE="qt4 -qt5" globally (ie from profiles) is
36 going to make a REQUIRED_USE force an exception in package.use as
37 well. Again, annoying to end-users for no overly good reason and see #1
38 .
41 > 3. Package can be build with Qt4 or Qt5 or both AT THE SAME TIME(if
42 > such package even exists?)
43 >
44 > Do not use REQUIRED_USE here, not needed.
45 >
46 > Now, please tell me, where am i wrong?
50 IMO it's wrong because REQUIRED_USE is a BFH for what really ends up
51 as an extra, dangling enabled use flag. Unless there's a case (and i
52 truely doubt there is) that there's a package with IUSE="qt4" that
53 depends on ANOTHER package with IUSE="qt4 qt5", and that other package
54 only builds against one implementation, AND the dep on the first
55 package doesn't include any use deps, I still see no actual -need- for
56 REQUIRED_USE.