From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DNS not working except as root
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 08:42:03
1 On Sat, 12 May 2001 12:41:15 +0200 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim
2 Gottinger) wrote:
3
4 > Collins Richey wrote:
7 > > A normal user is denied access to DNS requests, which means
8 > that you can only gain internet access with specific ip
9 addresses.
10 > >
11 > > Where are the controls for permitting DNS requests?
14 > hrm, give /tmp a sticky bit, that fixed various problems I had
15 > here as a normal user.
18 /tmp was already 1777, but your second post fixed most of the
19 problem, ie /etc/resolv.conf was 600 now 644.
20
21 Now I can browse with konqueror using names instead of ip
22 addresses.
23
24 I still have one minor problem that I have seen before. Some
25 distros have the problem, some don't. I still can't use the
26 name for my mail server under sylpheed, just the ip address. On
27 my Sybil (Caldera 3.1 Beta) distro, this works, but
28 /etc/resolv.conf, etc., looks pretty much the same.
29
30 This isn't a biggie. I've never figured it out.
31
32 Thanks,
33 ---
34 Collins Richey