From: Stefan Schweizer <sschweizer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Another call for BugVoting on bugs.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 06:30:07
1 On 5/17/05, Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
6 > > On Monday 16 May 2005 08:01 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7 > >
8 > >>On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:45:05 -0400 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
9 > >>
10 > >>wrote:
11 > >>| On Monday 16 May 2005 07:08 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
12 > >>| > What, so that you can see which bugs a small but vocal group of
13 > >>| > ricers are interested in rather than the ones that're actually
14 > >>| > important?
15 > >>|
16 > >>| once again, voting is optional ... if you dont want to pay attention
17 > >>| to them, then dont
18 > >>
19 >
20 > I would tend to agree with Klieber when he closed the actual bug about
21 > this issue that I read through a few weeks ago. The problem with
22 > leaving it optional being users vote a bunch on bug X and then the
23 > developer says he doesn't care, and then the users bitch because 'their
24 > precious voice was ignored'. Personally if users want crap that bad,
25 > they can submit the code themselves.
26
27 Do you see such kind of bitching anywhere in the kde project?
28
29 On the bugs where I looked I dont see anything, seems like people know
30 that voting wont count as a means of pressure for developers.
33 > Most if not all of the developers here are volunteers, and just because
34 > a bunch of users vote up a bug doesn't particularly make it important to
35
36 Many bugs in bugzilla have ebuilds contributed, the work is done,
37 there is just no developer to add them to the tree and review them.
38 Bugvoting would allow other developers to see where they can help. For
39 example I am using kde but dont read all kde bugs, so if I would know
40 there is a kde bug with many votes I would maybe look at it.
41 > work on. I think that if this is made clear enough somewhere, them this
42 > could work. Obviously voting is a very nice tool that could help out a
43 > lot of people who use it. It's just not worth it (IMHO) when it annoys
44 > the other half of the people who don't use it.
45
46 We can alternatively introduce a customilzable Bugzilla, developers
47 who dont want to see Votes can turn them off and will not see the Vote
48 counts for bugs :)
49
50 -- Stefan
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list