From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 15:04:54
1 On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:32:22 +0000
2 Patrick Lauer <bugs@××××××××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Ok, here's a silly idea -
5 >
6 > tag the ebuilds with metadata. We already have RESTRICT, why not add
7 > a "LIVE" variable. The package manager can then treat all ebuilds
8 > with that tag differently. Scripts can find them easily.
9
10 Or we could create a scm suffix and not have to parse ebuilds to get
11 that info. As an added bonus live ebuilds are instantly identifiable
12 and can use proper versions numbers instead of 9999.
13
14 > Portage 2.2 and others support sets, portage 2.2 even supports
15 > dynamic sets like the "@preserved-rebuild". Shouldn't be that hard to
16 > add a "live-ebuilds" dynamic set.
17
18 Just as easy with -scm.
19
20 > (Comments on the feasibility of my idea from portage people
21 > appreciated)
22 >
23 > > Currently, users with Portage have to run something like:
24 > > ~ emerge -av1 compiz compiz-bcop compiz-fusion-plugins-main \
25 > > ~ compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported \
26 > > ~ emerald emerald-themes libcompizconfig compizconfig-python \
27 > > ~ ccsm compizconfig-backend-gconf compizconfig-backend-kconfig \
28 > > ~ compiz-fusion fusion-icon
29 >
30 > That is the situation where you really love the sets in portage 2.2 -
31 > by default portage will re-merge every ebuild from a set when run as
32 > "emerge @your-custom-set". Now the overlay maintainer just has to
33 > provide the sets with the overlay and users are happy.
34
35 His problem is updating the packages in a specific order. I don't
36 remember sets preserving merge order, but then again I wasn't looking.
37
38 > > Having a method that
39 > > lets the user choose that the PM should check the scm tree and
40 > > update the package if there's a new revision would be even better.
41 >
42 > I think that can be easily done if there's an easy way to pull the
43 > installed revision and currently available. The last discussions
44 > about that stalled without reaching agreement.
45
46 I could have sworn subversion.eclass already did this but now I can't
47 find the code. I might have seen it in an overlay or on the forums.
51 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
52 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
53 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662