From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] HDEPEND (host dependencies for cross-compilation) for EAPI 5?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:49:01
1 On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:03:00 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 > For those who may not know, chromium-os currently uses a
4 > hard-host-depends ebuild as a workaround for our lack of HDEPEND
5 > support [1]. We could easily add HDEPEND in EAPI 5 if we want, since
6 > we already have a Portage patch attached to bug #317337 [2]. Here is
7 > a summary of what that Portage patch will do:
8 >
9 > In EAPI 5 or later, DEPEND has been divided into two parts:
10 > DEPEND for build-time target dependencies, and HDEPEND for
11 > build-time host dependencies. This division is designed
12 > specifically to minimize difficulty in the process of
13 > adapting ebuilds that were written for earlier EAPIs,
14 > and therefore it also minimizes the adjustments that
15 > ebuild developers will have to make to the thought
16 > processes involved when writing ebuilds from scratch. In
17 > an environment that does not involve cross-compilation,
18 > HDEPEND behaves the same as DEPEND. When an ebuild is
19 > converted from EAPI 4 or earlier to EAPI 5 or later,
20 > in order to support cross-compilation environments, some
21 > dependencies may need to be migrated to HDEPEND.
22 >
23 > For ebuilds that have EAPI 5 or later, the emerge
24 > --root-deps option has no effect since it is made obsolete
25 > by division between DEPEND and HDEPEND. If EAPI 4 or
26 > earlier ebuilds are used in combination with EAPI 5 or
27 > later ebuilds, the --root-deps behavior will still be
28 > applied to the EAPI 4 or earlier ebuilds (there is no
29 > behavior change for ebuilds having older EAPIs).
30
31 What exactly would the rules be for handling a package that is in both
32 DEPEND and HDEPEND, when ROOT is in effect? Would the versions be
33 expected to match? What about use flags?
34
35 Also, we're getting rather a lot of *DEPEND variables here... If we're
36 making people make major changes to their deps, which for HDEPEND we
37 definitely would be, then the "it's expensive since people would have
38 to redo their deps" argument against a combined DEPENDENCIES variable
39 goes out of the window, so we should rethink that too.
42 Ciaran McCreesh