From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] HDEPEND (host dependencies for cross-compilation) for EAPI 5?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:13:08
1 On 08/31/2012 01:46 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:03:00 -0700
3 > What exactly would the rules be for handling a package that is in both
4 > DEPEND and HDEPEND, when ROOT is in effect? Would the versions be
5 > expected to match? What about use flags?
6
7 For the sake of simplicity, I would treat them as entirely independent.
8 It should be easy enough for users to apply manual configuration
9 adjustments in order to resolve any conflicts of this nature that may
10 arise. If there turns out to be a strong demand for additional
11 constraints, we can consider adding them in a future EAPI (possibly
12 using a combined DEPENDENCIES variable).
13
14 > Also, we're getting rather a lot of *DEPEND variables here... If we're
15 > making people make major changes to their deps, which for HDEPEND we
16 > definitely would be,
17
18 Well, I not sure that "major changes" is a really good characterization.
19 We're just talking about migrating a few things from DEPEND to HDEPEND,
20 and it's not strictly required. The migration is only needed when
21 fulfilling a request to support cross-compilation in a particular ebuild.
22
23 > then the "it's expensive since people would have
24 > to redo their deps" argument against a combined DEPENDENCIES variable
25 > goes out of the window, so we should rethink that too.
26 --
27 Thanks,
28 Zac