From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] impending c++11 clusterfuck?
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 09:58:29
1 Dnia 30 listopada 2015 10:18:53 CET, "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××××.net> napisał(a):
2 >On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
3 >wrote:
4 >> On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 19:56:04 -0800
5 >> "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××××.net> wrote:
6 >> > the mess gets magically cleaned up by robots somehow.
7 >>
8 >> Sadly := can't help here since gcc switches occur independently of
9 >> package installs. And AFAIK revdep-rebuild doesn't help either.
10 >
11 >Indeed... magical hand-wavey part is the only teeny-tiny flaw with my
12 >proposal that the problem be magically, hand-wavically solved --
13 >otherwise, it's rock-solid :)
14 >
15 >OTOH when you're spending ten hours a week waiting for revdep-rebuild,
16 >preserved-rebuild stops seeming like an intractable fantasy and more
17 >like an interesting puzzle you'd might as well take a crack at
18 >solving.
19
20 It won't help either since SONAME doesn't change. And as would Ciaran say, it's the wrong solution to a different problem.
23 >I dunno about y'all but my not-really-that-computationally-powerful
24 >workstation has 2000 packages installed, about three-quarters of which
25 >seem to have forked webkit (just kidding, but it sure feels that way).
26 >
27 >emerge -e @world literally takes me two days if I'm lucky. If I'm
28 >not, more like a week, with my cores left mostly idling while my
29 >productivity is thwarted by various non-webkit-compiling distractions
30 >like using the toilet or working.
31 >
32 >Point being, it's damn slow; I'm starting to feel like the guy waiting
33 >for revdep-rebuild all week. There's gotta be a way to do it. If it
34 >requires some encapsulation-breaking hacks to get it done (as
35 >preserved-rebuild kinda did) it's probably well worth it.
36 >
37 >-gmt
38 >
39 >Greg Turner
40 >gmt@×××××××.net
43 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.