From: "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] impending c++11 clusterfuck?
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 09:19:15
1 On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 19:56:04 -0800
3 > "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 > > the mess gets magically cleaned up by robots somehow.
5 >
6 > Sadly := can't help here since gcc switches occur independently of
7 > package installs. And AFAIK revdep-rebuild doesn't help either.
8
9 Indeed... magical hand-wavey part is the only teeny-tiny flaw with my
10 proposal that the problem be magically, hand-wavically solved --
11 otherwise, it's rock-solid :)
12
13 OTOH when you're spending ten hours a week waiting for revdep-rebuild,
14 preserved-rebuild stops seeming like an intractable fantasy and more
15 like an interesting puzzle you'd might as well take a crack at
16 solving.
17
18 I dunno about y'all but my not-really-that-computationally-powerful
19 workstation has 2000 packages installed, about three-quarters of which
20 seem to have forked webkit (just kidding, but it sure feels that way).
21
22 emerge -e @world literally takes me two days if I'm lucky. If I'm
23 not, more like a week, with my cores left mostly idling while my
24 productivity is thwarted by various non-webkit-compiling distractions
25 like using the toilet or working.
26
27 Point being, it's damn slow; I'm starting to feel like the guy waiting
28 for revdep-rebuild all week. There's gotta be a way to do it. If it
29 requires some encapsulation-breaking hacks to get it done (as
30 preserved-rebuild kinda did) it's probably well worth it.
31
32 -gmt
33
34 Greg Turner