From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pacho@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 13:37:48
1 On Wed, 01 May 2013 12:50:42 +0200
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > El mié, 01-05-2013 a las 12:04 +0200, Fabio Erculiani escribió:
5 > [...]
6 > > - other ~490 systemd units are missing at this time and writing them
7 > > could also be a great GSoC project (don't look at me, I'm busy
8 > > enough).
9 > [...]
10 >
11 > Can't them be stolen from other distros running systemd?
12
13 Yes and no. Fedora took the quick way of switching to systemd which
14 means some of the units are really poor quality. For example, they rely
15 on configs in /etc/sysconfig which we don't want to port to Gentoo.
16
17 I'd prefer if someone took the task really serious and worked hard to
18 get:
19
20 a) fixed config handling in upstream packages (thus allowing for better
21 unit files),
22
23 b) really good unit files,
24
25 c) bugs for upstreams to try to include those good files or fix
26 the existing ones.
27
28 > [...]
29 > > The final outcome will hopefully be:
30 > > - easier to migrate from/to systemd, at runtime, with NO recompilation
31 > > at all (just enable USE=systemd and switch the device manager from
32 > > *udev to systemd -- unless somebody wants to drop the udev part from
33 > > systemd, if at all possible)
34 >
35 > Are udev and systemd-udev-part really equivalent? I mean, since they are
36 > maintained by different people downstream, I am not sure if there would
37 > be differences in how udev from udev ebuild and udev from systemd ebuild
38 > will behave.
39
40 There may be differences. For example, I'm not really interested
41 in patching systemd with patches from eudev which will never make it
42 upstream. Therefore, systemd-udevd won't work with old kernels systemd
43 does not support.
46 Best regards,
47 Michał Górny