From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 10:50:57
1 El mié, 01-05-2013 a las 12:04 +0200, Fabio Erculiani escribió:
2 [...]
3 > - other ~490 systemd units are missing at this time and writing them
4 > could also be a great GSoC project (don't look at me, I'm busy
5 > enough).
6 [...]
7
8 Can't them be stolen from other distros running systemd?
9
10 [...]
11 > The only remaining problem is about eselect-sysvinit, for this reason,
12 > I am probably going to create a new separate pkg called
13 > _sysvinit-next_, that contains all the fun stuff many developers were
14 > not allowed to commit (besides my needs, there is also the need of
15 > splitting sysvinit due to the issues reported in [4]). I am sure that
16 > a masked alternative sysvinit ebuild won't hurt anybody and will make
17 > Gentoo a bit more fun to use.
20 I am unable to find exact advantage of changing init system without
21 rebooting :/, what is the advantage of booting with an init.d and
22 shutting down with a different one?
23
24 > The final outcome will hopefully be:
25 > - easier to migrate from/to systemd, at runtime, with NO recompilation
26 > at all (just enable USE=systemd and switch the device manager from
27 > *udev to systemd -- unless somebody wants to drop the udev part from
28 > systemd, if at all possible)
29
30 Are udev and systemd-udev-part really equivalent? I mean, since they are
31 maintained by different people downstream, I am not sure if there would
32 be differences in how udev from udev ebuild and udev from systemd ebuild
33 will behave.
34
35 Best regards and thanks for your work!