From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 11:00:54
1 On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
2 > El mié, 01-05-2013 a las 12:04 +0200, Fabio Erculiani escribió:
3 > [...]
4 >> - other ~490 systemd units are missing at this time and writing them
5 >> could also be a great GSoC project (don't look at me, I'm busy
6 >> enough).
7 > [...]
8 >
9 > Can't them be stolen from other distros running systemd?
10
11 Sure, Arch and Fedora repositories are a good source.
14 > [...]
15 >> The only remaining problem is about eselect-sysvinit, for this reason,
16 >> I am probably going to create a new separate pkg called
17 >> _sysvinit-next_, that contains all the fun stuff many developers were
18 >> not allowed to commit (besides my needs, there is also the need of
19 >> splitting sysvinit due to the issues reported in [4]). I am sure that
20 >> a masked alternative sysvinit ebuild won't hurt anybody and will make
21 >> Gentoo a bit more fun to use.
24 > I am unable to find exact advantage of changing init system without
25 > rebooting :/, what is the advantage of booting with an init.d and
26 > shutting down with a different one?
27
28 No, you don't boot with A and shutdown with B. B is loaded by the
29 kernel at the next boot.
30 Switching init system is the only way to roll out a migration path,
31 among other things I already wrote about on the eselect-sysvinit bug.
34 >> The final outcome will hopefully be:
35 >> - easier to migrate from/to systemd, at runtime, with NO recompilation
36 >> at all (just enable USE=systemd and switch the device manager from
37 >> *udev to systemd -- unless somebody wants to drop the udev part from
38 >> systemd, if at all possible)
39 >
40 > Are udev and systemd-udev-part really equivalent? I mean, since they are
41 > maintained by different people downstream, I am not sure if there would
42 > be differences in how udev from udev ebuild and udev from systemd ebuild
43 > will behave.
44
45 This needs investigation.
48 > Best regards and thanks for your work!
55 Fabio Erculiani