From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 30: "Planet Gentoo" web log aggregator
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:29:27
1 On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 09:05:25PM -0400 or thereabouts, Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > As long as we're in general agreement that "if it doesn't get used, it gets
3 > taken down", what is the problem?
4
5 Because we don't all agree what "used" means.
6
7 > There are a lot of tools that could be
8 > of great or negative value, and we won't know until we try.
9
10 Completely agree and I think we should give this one a try. I think it's
11 important to agree what "used" means ahead of time, however, to avoid
12 people getting pissed off down the road.
13
14 I may think that, if only one person is actively using this site and 5,000
15 users read it per week, that it's not worth continuing to support. Others
16 might feel differently. If we can agree what "used" means ahead of time,
17 we don't have to have a huge argument down the road.
18
19 > Let's do what almost any other website in the world does when testing a new
20 > feature. We'll call it "beta". If it doesn't work out, it goes away.
21
22 Most other websites also have quantifiable metrics that they use to gauge
23 the success of their site, be that number of transactions, number of
24 eyeballs or whatever.
25
26 --kurt