From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:57:56
1 On Monday 27 February 2006 19:19, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:05:58 -0600 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | Of course, that leaves the question of who decides on the severity of
6 > | a QA violation?
7 >
8 > All this talk of severity, and no talk of "ease of detection" or "ease
9 > of fixing"...
10 >
11 > Allow me to explain. There are certain not particularly high impact
12 > issues that can very easily be detected, and with 100% reliability, by
13 > The Thing About Which We Do Not Talk. Any individual one of these
14 > doesn't look like such a big deal, but when we're talking a couple of
15 > hundred instances, all of which can easily be fixed in less overall
16 > time than it would take to even detect one instance of a particular
17 > severe problem, it's most definitely worth concentrating on the 'easy'
18 > issue.
19
20 I understand this point, but by your own admission, they are not
21 particularly high impact. In the case at hand, the particular issue does
22 however conflict with other goals. What I think would be reasonable is to
23 expect that you are not going to be able to solve 100% of the "easilly
24 detectable" issues. So, I think that while you continue to run the tests
25 on these packages, you maintain a list of exceptions, including the
26 reason for them being exceptions. Besides, work on finding solutions to
27 the problems behind it. But do not choose the greater evil (removing or
28 blocking a package) before the lesser evil (keeping a package with
29 well-documented issues).
30
31 In this respect I would like to propose that each package that has these
32 issues related to missing portage features, ensures that a related bug is
33 created for portage requesting that feature/a solution for the
34 fundamental problem. This bug should be marked as blocker for the package
35 related bugs in this respect. That way we can keep account of which
36 features in portage are needed for which packages.
37
38 Paul
41 Paul de Vrieze
42 Gentoo Developer