From: Christian Hartmann <ian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 04:40:33
1 > > First and foremost is, will adding this to the tree be used for
2 > > function creep, whereby the next request to add to/alter the portage
3 > > tree is backed up by "Well, the profile change was already added to the
4 > > tree"? I wouldn't want a precedent like this set without the council
5 > > reviewing it.
6 >
7 > I really don't see much of an issue of feature creep. Gentoo/ALT
8 > already has a profile. It isn't like there are changes to the actual
9 > ebuilds themselves.
10
11 Actually there are a lot of packages that need portage to work properly.
12 Portage has never been added to DEPEND because portage is expected to "be
13 just there". With a paludis profile added how are we gonna deal with that?
14
15 - Adding $package to the paludis package.mask?
16 - Creating a $packagemanager virtual and expect every packagemanager to
17 provide all the functions offered by portage? (E.g. having wrapperscripts for
18 several calls.)
19 - Make ebuilds that explicit depend on portage depend on portage by adding
20 sys-apps/portage to (R)DEPEND?
23 Christian Hartmann
24 http://www.gentoo.org/~ian/
25
26 PGP Key:
27 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2154E5EE692A4865
28 Key fingerprint = 4544 EC0C BAE4 216F 5981 7F95 2154 E5EE 692A 4865
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list