From: Jochen Maes <sejo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 07:28:17
1 First of all, keep up the work with Paludis.
2 Personally I think having a second package manager is a very good thing.
3 I do have some questions. Could someone of the Paludis crew please
4 answer them?
5
6 1) If Paludis has no business in replacing portage on systems (shame, if
7 it's better/faster it should) why are we having this discussion.
8 I understand that you need a profile and with an overlay you need to
9 copy the profiles dir (the whole profiles dir) but be serious that's only
10 So my question would you be able to do tests without changing the
11 official tree by copying the profiles dir in an own overlay.
12
13 2) If Paludis will be installed on a system to test, and installs
14 packages, will portage be aware of that installation, and will it be
15 able to remove it (meaning Paludis changes the portage VDB correctly
16 when needed). (i've seen you explain that Paludis can read it but not
17 that it can write it correctly)
18
19 3) If using an own binary format will there be an extracter for it that
20 isn't part of Paludis? Why am i asking this? Well i've seen instances
21 when an upgrade broke something, and that was a dep of portage. So my
22 emerge couldn't revert back. So i just untarred the tarball and
23 recompiled it. (might not be the cleanest way, but the only way i found
24 in certain situations).
25
26 4) Will Paludis ever become a Gentoo Project?
29 Thank you very much for the hard work!
30
31 Jochen
36 "Defer no time, delays have dangerous ends"
37 "Ne humanus crede"
38
39 Jochen Maes
40 Gentoo Linux