From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 12:08:06
1 On Thu, 18 May 2006 09:19:58 +0200
2 Jochen Maes <sejo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > 1) If Paludis has no business in replacing portage on systems (shame,
5 > if it's better/faster it should) why are we having this discussion.
6 > I understand that you need a profile and with an overlay you need to
7 > copy the profiles dir (the whole profiles dir) but be serious that's
8 > only So my question would you be able to do tests without changing
9 > the official tree by copying the profiles dir in an own overlay.
10
11 We could put profiles in an overlay, but it would require adding
12 support for inheriting profiles relative to another repository path
13 rather than relative to the current directory. Doable, but another
14 place to be incompatible with Portage, so something I'd like to avoid
15 having to do if possible.
16
17 > 2) If Paludis will be installed on a system to test, and installs
18 > packages, will portage be aware of that installation, and will it be
19 > able to remove it (meaning Paludis changes the portage VDB correctly
20 > when needed). (i've seen you explain that Paludis can read it but not
21 > that it can write it correctly)
22
23 Paludis can read a Portage VDB last time I tried, but a
24 Paludis-generated VDB will confuse Portage.
25
26 > 3) If using an own binary format will there be an extracter for it
27 > that isn't part of Paludis?
28
29 Yes; it's called tar.
30
31 > 4) Will Paludis ever become a Gentoo Project?
32
33 Doubtful, barring some rather drastic changes in Gentoo and the way its
34 projects are handled.
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list