From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 13:32:58
1 On Thursday 18 May 2006 14:11, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Thu, 18 May 2006 09:19:58 +0200
3 >
4 > Jochen Maes <sejo@g.o> wrote:
5 > > 1) If Paludis has no business in replacing portage on systems (shame,
6 > > if it's better/faster it should) why are we having this discussion.
7 > > I understand that you need a profile and with an overlay you need to
8 > > copy the profiles dir (the whole profiles dir) but be serious that's
9 > > only So my question would you be able to do tests without changing
10 > > the official tree by copying the profiles dir in an own overlay.
11 >
12 > We could put profiles in an overlay, but it would require adding
13 > support for inheriting profiles relative to another repository path
14 > rather than relative to the current directory. Doable, but another
15 > place to be incompatible with Portage, so something I'd like to avoid
16 > having to do if possible.
17
18 Then copy the bloody profile, or temporarilly add some magic in paludis
19 that ignores portage and python deps. Not that hard to do. While not so
20 beautiful it can easilly be removed at a later stage.
21 >
22 > > 2) If Paludis will be installed on a system to test, and installs
23 > > packages, will portage be aware of that installation, and will it be
24 > > able to remove it (meaning Paludis changes the portage VDB correctly
25 > > when needed). (i've seen you explain that Paludis can read it but not
26 > > that it can write it correctly)
27 >
28 > Paludis can read a Portage VDB last time I tried, but a
29 > Paludis-generated VDB will confuse Portage.
30
31 How far does that spread? Is this only for packages merged by paludis, or
32 does it spread? And what reasons are there for paludis not to have a vdb
33 format that will not confuse portage.
34
35 It is very important that package managers coexist with portage. This
36 allows testing of that package manager, but also the testing of a
37 package / eclass on different package managers. It would be irrealistic
38 to require devs to have a different installation just for testing
39 packages with paludis/pkgcore.
42 > > 3) If using an own binary format will there be an extracter for it
43 > > that isn't part of Paludis?
44 >
45 > Yes; it's called tar.
46 >
47 > > 4) Will Paludis ever become a Gentoo Project?
48 >
49 > Doubtful, barring some rather drastic changes in Gentoo and the way its
50 > projects are handled.
51
52 So you are asking to go towards replacing portage with a package manager
53 that is not under gentoo control?
54
55 Paul
58 Paul de Vrieze