From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 16:34:02
1 On Thu, 18 May 2006 09:19:58 +0200 Jochen Maes <sejo@g.o> wrote:
2 | 1) If Paludis has no business in replacing portage on systems (shame,
3 | if it's better/faster it should) why are we having this discussion.
4
5 It's a goal towards which we're working. Just as we expect that, for
6 example, gcc 4 will someday replace gcc 3 on some archs.
7
8 | I understand that you need a profile and with an overlay you need to
9 | copy the profiles dir (the whole profiles dir) but be serious that's
10 | only So my question would you be able to do tests without changing
11 | the official tree by copying the profiles dir in an own overlay.
12
13 That's how things are done at present.
14
15 | 2) If Paludis will be installed on a system to test, and installs
16 | packages, will portage be aware of that installation, and will it be
17 | able to remove it (meaning Paludis changes the portage VDB correctly
18 | when needed). (i've seen you explain that Paludis can read it but not
19 | that it can write it correctly)
20
21 It's not that Paludis doesn't write it correctly. It's that Paludis
22 writes some extra information that Portage can't handle.
23
24 | 3) If using an own binary format will there be an extracter for it
25 | that isn't part of Paludis? Why am i asking this? Well i've seen
26 | instances when an upgrade broke something, and that was a dep of
27 | portage. So my emerge couldn't revert back. So i just untarred the
28 | tarball and recompiled it. (might not be the cleanest way, but the
29 | only way i found in certain situations).
30
31 tar.
32
33 | 4) Will Paludis ever become a Gentoo Project?
34
35 Pretty unlikely, past events considered. Personally I kind of like
36 having commit access to my own code...
39 Ciaran McCreesh
40 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list