From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] news item for udev 197-r3 upgrade (yes, I know, it's late)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 11:41:02
1 On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The only way I've found to keep the system bootable with both kernels
4 > (for the upgrade process until the new kernel config was good enough)
5 > was to replace /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 by /dev/root in /etc/fstab.
6 >
7 > How would this be done when there is no /dev/root any more?
8
9 I would think that you could just use LABEL=, UUID=, or /dev/disk/by-uuid/foo.
10
11 Those device names only work on the kernel boot line if you're using
12 an initramfs, but I suspect that they'd work fine in fstab regardless.
13 Situations like this of course are one of the reasons initramfs is so
14 popular - they can be far smarter about finding the root filesystem.
15
16 Disclaimer: I'm using an initramfs, so I can't vouch for what happens
17 without one.
18
19 Rich