From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] news item for udev 197-r3 upgrade (yes, I know, it's late)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:03:04
1 On 01/23/13 19:29, Felix Kuperjans wrote:
2 > Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> please review this news item, seems we need one after all
4 >
5 > /dev/root is no longer available in this udev version, so people who put
6 > this in their /etc/fstab might end up with an unbootable system.
7 >
8 > I suggest including in the news item, that /dev/root must be replaced
9 > with the actual root device or LABEL=..., UUID=... and the like in
10 > /etc/fstab.
11
12 I've recently upgraded some server from kernel-2.6.28 to kernel-3.5.7 and
13 encountered that the root-device was renamed from /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 to
14 /dev/sda1 due to some kernel driver change (took me a while to find out).
15 I'm not using genkernel or any initramfs, nor do I have separate /usr.
16
17 The only way I've found to keep the system bootable with both kernels
18 (for the upgrade process until the new kernel config was good enough)
19 was to replace /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 by /dev/root in /etc/fstab.
20
21 How would this be done when there is no /dev/root any more?
22
23 So yes, please include the /dev/root drop (at least) in the news item.
24
25 /haubi/