From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] news item for udev 197-r3 upgrade (yes, I know, it's late)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:50:21
1 On 01/24/13 05:02, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 >
3 > I've recently upgraded some server from kernel-2.6.28 to kernel-3.5.7 and
4 > encountered that the root-device was renamed from /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 to
5 > /dev/sda1 due to some kernel driver change (took me a while to find out).
6 > I'm not using genkernel or any initramfs, nor do I have separate /usr.
7 >
8 > The only way I've found to keep the system bootable with both kernels
9 > (for the upgrade process until the new kernel config was good enough)
10 > was to replace /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 by /dev/root in /etc/fstab.
11 >
12 > How would this be done when there is no /dev/root any more?
15 These are the Compaq SmartArray controllers (usually found in HP
16 Proliants). They used to have their own block driver, but these days
17 they're just grouped with the rest of the SCSI drives.
18
19 The old driver:
20
21 Block Devices -> BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA
22
23 The new one is under,
24
25 SCSI device support -> SCSI low-level drivers -> SCSI_HPSA
26
27 This driver supports HP Smart Array Controllers (circa 2009).
28 It is a SCSI alternative to the cciss driver, which is a block
29 driver. Anyone wishing to use HP Smart Array controllers who
30 would prefer the devices be presented to linux as SCSI devices,
31 rather than as generic block devices should say Y here.
32
33 The HPSA driver does *not* work on older Proliants, so I can only assume
34 that HPSA is receiving active maintenance while the old block driver is
35 not. Nevertheless, if the block driver worked for you in an old kernel,
36 you could simply disable HPSA on the new one.
37
38 When the time comes that you need to boot two newish kernels, you can
39 re-enable HPSA and update fstab to use the new name.