From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are eblits?
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 06:02:33
1 On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 9:11 PM, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Whether the idea is useful in the present day and age, eh, who knows. For the
4 > mips-sources ebuilds, eblits let me centralize the per-machine notes and
5 > unpacking logic, which reduced each ebuild's size from ~18KB a few years ago
6 > down to ~4.9KB today.
7
8 It sounds pretty useful to me. I've seen eclasses used by a single
9 package or two at most and full of conditional logic to handle all the
10 times upstream changed their distribution scheme. Eblits sound a
11 whole lot better.
12
13 Since they're limited in scope there isn't really a need for list
14 review/etc, and they can be created/deleted/etc at will.
15
16 I wouldn't use them just to turn every 50 line ebuild into a 10 line
17 ebuild, but when you have substantial amounts of code re-used across
18 ebuilds refactoring it just makes sense.
19
20 What I would love to see is this be standardized. An eclass or a GLEP
21 seems like the logical approach.
24 Rich