From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are eblits?
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 08:26:11
1 >>>>> On Sun, 29 May 2016, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > What I would love to see is this be standardized. An eclass or a
4 > GLEP seems like the logical approach.
5
6 I am strongly opposed against this. Ebuilds should not source
7 executable code from random locations. This is also a huge QA
8 violation, since PMS neither guarantees FILESDIR to be available in
9 global scope (so especially, not during metadata generation), nor in
10 any of the pkg_* phases (like pkg_setup, where mips-sources sources
11 its eblits).
12
13 If there really is a need for such a feature, we should rather follow
14 an approach like the per-package eclasses previously suggested by mabi
15 and antarus [1], and support a pkg-inherit function in the next EAPI.
16 (Though I wouldn't add a new function, but add an option to inherit,
17 like "inherit -p".)
18
19 We could even think about per-category eclasses ("inherit -c"),
20 although it is not obvious where one would store them.
21
22 Ulrich
23
24 [1] https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo/users/antarus/projects/gleps/glep-XX.txt?view=markup