From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new config files....
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 15:39:22
1 On Sat, 2001-12-08 at 23:01, Zach Forrest wrote:
2 > OK, so I'm a little lazy.
3 >
4 > It might not be a bad idea to be able to type 'emerge --newconfigs' to
5 > make things a little more elegant. Either that or include a script with
6 > portage (see attachment). It may seem trivial for something so simple,
7 > but I think hiding implementation details is just good practice. If, for
8 > some reason (e.g. divine intervention), the naming of the config files
9 > changed, users wouldn't be affected. They could still type 'emerge
10 > --newconfigs' and do so with a smile.
13 Uhm, sound neat, but for one problem. What about stuff like net.eth0
14 and so on that contains config settings ? Or passwd ? You would not
15 like to reboot and you cannot login anymore :) Ok, sure, we can
16 add exceptions to the rule (passwd, group, ...), but for the rest ..
17
18 The only solution will be if only stuff in /etc/init.d and some other
19 known files (that comes with baselayout, etc) gets updated, and ALL the
20 settings go into /etc/conf.d/ . But then we will have to start moving
21 all those fast, and since drobbins do not want to use /etc/conf.d/ for
22 the baselayout rc-scripts, it will be a problem ....
25 Greetings,
28 Martin Schlemmer
29 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
30 Cape Town, South Africa