From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:20:28
1 * Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 > What you are saying makes sense for desktop users since they will
4 > likely already have consolekit/policykit/nm-applet installed, and
5 > hence using NetworkManager for all network management makes sense.
6
7 Actually, I've got several Gentoo-based desktop systems, none of
8 them uses any these packages.
9
10 > From what I can see, we have three options:
11 > (a) Make our existing openrc network code + openrc configuration files
12 > work with systemd, and move to systemd by default
13 > (b) Make systemd work with openrc+NM configuration files[1], make NM
14 > work w/o PK/CK[2], add command line tools to NM, and move to systemd
15 > by default.
16 > (c) Support systemd as an alternative init system for use by desktop users.
17
18 (d) Fix systemd to get rid of dependencies to dbus, etc.
21 cu
22 --
24 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
26 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
27 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
28 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
29 http://patches.metux.de/