From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenRC supporting systemd units
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 20:06:09
1 Michael Mol schrieb:
2 >> Sounds like a great feature. A crashed process is a buggy one, and I
3 >> would want to investigate said program before I relaunched it, and
4 >> not have it automatically relaunched as if nothing had happened.
5 >
6 > That's highly, highly, highly use-case dependent. If it's a
7 > non-critical service, or in a non-critical environment, that's one
8 > thing. If it's a service whose downtime can be measured in value lost,
9 > that's quite another.
10
11 You could be looking at someone trying to compromise your system through a
12 buffer overflow or similar vulnerability. If you enable automatic respawn
13 then congratulations, you just gave the attacker unlimited tries to guess
14 the correct address/offset for his exploit.
17 Best regards,
18 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn