From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why arch-specific make.conf files?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 02:35:02
1 On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:54:01 -0500
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 20:26 +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
5 > > On Tuesday 15 November 2005 20:19, Marius Mauch wrote:
6 > > > From my POV those vars should be set in the profiles instead, and
7 > > > a quick scan shows that indeed most (maybe all? didn't count them)
8 > > > profiles set them already, so there isn't really a point in
9 > > > having them in make.conf too, except to make it easy for users to
10 > > > change them
11 > > Little note: with Gentoo/FreeBSD I tried avoiding providing CHOST
12 > > in make.conf, as to change to non-i686 CHOST you need to rebuild
13 > > everything, as the stage is currently i686-centric, I'm sorry of
14 > > that, I'll try to automatize a more complete building when I'll
15 > > have time.
16 > >
17 > > The problem of this is that distcc-config looks inside make.conf
18 > > for CHOST instead of using portageq envvar CHOST, so it just
19 > > breaks :P I think other things might do the same assumption of
20 > > finding CHOST in make.conf, and beside being plainly wrong, I'm not
21 > > sure if I want to break everything ;)
22 >
23 > CHOST doesn't have to match what is in the profile. In fact, I can
24 > think of a lot of cases where it does not. While I agree that it
25 > shouldn't be required to have CHOST in make.conf, it *is* currently a
26 > requirement, and has been for as long as I can remember.
27
28 The portageq way would scan all make.* files, so you *could* still set
29 CHOST in make.conf if you want to.
30
31 Marius
36 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
37 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.