From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why arch-specific make.conf files?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:04:32
1 On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 20:26 +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 15 November 2005 20:19, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 > > From my POV those vars should be set in the profiles instead, and a
4 > > quick scan shows that indeed most (maybe all? didn't count them)
5 > > profiles set them already, so there isn't really a point in having them
6 > > in make.conf too, except to make it easy for users to change them
7 > Little note: with Gentoo/FreeBSD I tried avoiding providing CHOST in
8 > make.conf, as to change to non-i686 CHOST you need to rebuild everything, as
9 > the stage is currently i686-centric, I'm sorry of that, I'll try to
10 > automatize a more complete building when I'll have time.
11 >
12 > The problem of this is that distcc-config looks inside make.conf for CHOST
13 > instead of using portageq envvar CHOST, so it just breaks :P
14 > I think other things might do the same assumption of finding CHOST in
15 > make.conf, and beside being plainly wrong, I'm not sure if I want to break
16 > everything ;)
17
18 CHOST doesn't have to match what is in the profile. In fact, I can
19 think of a lot of cases where it does not. While I agree that it
20 shouldn't be required to have CHOST in make.conf, it *is* currently a
21 requirement, and has been for as long as I can remember.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
26 x86 Architecture Team
27 Games - Developer