From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: One request for the next SoC: non already-devs students
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 20:52:16
1 On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 08:57:03PM +0100, Wulf C. Krueger wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 02. March 2008 20:25:09 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
3 > > > Do we inspire them by telling them that anybody who has made this
4 > > > choice in the past is not to be rewarded financially for doing so?
5 > > This brings up a different point of view too.
6 >
7 > From my point of view it's pretty simple: I don't see us generating enough
8 > interest among people not yet associated with Gentoo to successfully
9 > participate.
10 >
11 > Your idea would be fine with me if we had enough people wanting to do it
12 > but I don't really see that happen.
13
14 It could be argued that devs have an inherint advantage- they have far
15 greater access to devs to hash out their ideas, aware of what issues
16 the distro is facing, etc. All of that adds up giving devs a better
17 range of prospects for proposals and ironing out their proposals.
18
19 To be clear also, I'm not implying any backhand dealings here- just
20 that I view it as a bit of a closed system that makes it easier for
21 those already in the circle to succeed.
22
23 Personally, I'm not a fan of a flat out "no devs allowed"- a
24 percentile limit however, seems like a good step towards trying to
25 enable a focus on new blood (or even those new to FOSS).
26
27 Basically, devs have it easy in hammering out a proposal from where
28 I'm sitting- I'd like to see gains in trying to enable new blood,
29 whether doing some limiting of devs or a greater outreach. I'm not
30 suggesting crap proposals should be accepted purely because they're
31 from non-dev also, although I'd be tempted to give prioritization to
32 nondevs if it's neck in neck.
35 > > Why should just somebody be rewarded financially and not someone else?
36 >
37 > Because as a student people usually need the money more.
38
39 SoC is limited to students anyways, thus kind of moot continuing that
40 particular line of discussion...
41
42 ~brian