From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:43:27
1 On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 09:16:06AM -0700, Lares Moreau wrote:
2 > Is there a possibility to have each 'type' of staff have there own
3 > subdomain. ie. @testers.g.o for at/ht
4 > @docs.g.o for document persons
5 > @infra.g.o for infrastucture
6 > etc...
7 > @staff.g.o for non-specific staff
8 > @g.o for devs
9 No (and hopefully this email finally kills this line of thought off :)
10
11 fex, for me
12 ferringb@g.o
13 ferringb@portage.g.o
14 ferringb@infra.g.o (portage infra crap plus distfiles)
15 ferringb@(recruiters|devrel).g.o (recruiters)
16
17 for solar
18 solar@g.o
19 solar@infra.g.o
20 solar@council.g.o
21 solar@docs.g.o
22 solar@hardened.g.o
23 solar@x86.g.o
24
25 Etc. I'm naming subdomains off the top of my head to match
26 high level grouping, but it should be clear this isn't a tenuable
27 path to take both for devs, and for harassing infra with alias requests.
28
29 > Further, have an alias from @g.o to @<subdomain>.g.o, with an email
30 > returned to the sender if the subdomain is incorrect.
31
32 Aliasing sucks due to the need to remove the alias after a role
33 changes- if I stop doing recruiting, that alias now needs to be
34 disabled. Either you bounce the email, or you leave the alias in
35 place- either solution sucks if you're trying to do subdomains and
36 have them actually mean something.
37
38 This also is not even remotely getting into the question of
39 segregating gentoo peeps, something I dislike.
40
41 It's just not a good way to manage things with people changing roles,
42 nor does the subdomain addition really mean anything imo- if I had all
43 of those aliases, I'd still send from ferringb@g.o. Can't tell what
44 the hell I do based upon the from, still would have to resort to doing
45 some digging...
46
47 ~harring