From: Lares Moreau <lares.moreau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:50:09
1 On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 10:38 -0600, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 09:16:06AM -0700, Lares Moreau wrote:
3 > > Is there a possibility to have each 'type' of staff have there own
4 > > subdomain. ie. @testers.g.o for at/ht
5 > > @docs.g.o for document persons
6 > > @infra.g.o for infrastucture
7 > > etc...
8 > > @staff.g.o for non-specific staff
9 > > @g.o for devs
10 > No (and hopefully this email finally kills this line of thought off :)
13 Dead in my line of thinking
14
15 > fex, for me
16 > ferringb@g.o
17 > ferringb@portage.g.o
18 > ferringb@infra.g.o (portage infra crap plus distfiles)
19 > ferringb@(recruiters|devrel).g.o (recruiters)
20 >
21 > for solar
22 > solar@g.o
23 > solar@infra.g.o
24 > solar@council.g.o
25 > solar@docs.g.o
26 > solar@hardened.g.o
27 > solar@x86.g.o
28 >
29 > Etc. I'm naming subdomains off the top of my head to match
30 > high level grouping, but it should be clear this isn't a tenuable
31 > path to take both for devs, and for harassing infra with alias requests.
32 >
33 > > Further, have an alias from @g.o to @<subdomain>.g.o, with an email
34 > > returned to the sender if the subdomain is incorrect.
35 >
36 > Aliasing sucks due to the need to remove the alias after a role
37 > changes- if I stop doing recruiting, that alias now needs to be
38 > disabled. Either you bounce the email, or you leave the alias in
39 > place- either solution sucks if you're trying to do subdomains and
40 > have them actually mean something.
41 >
42 > This also is not even remotely getting into the question of
43 > segregating gentoo peeps, something I dislike.
44 >
45 > It's just not a good way to manage things with people changing roles,
46 > nor does the subdomain addition really mean anything imo- if I had all
47 > of those aliases, I'd still send from ferringb@g.o. Can't tell what
48 > the hell I do based upon the from, still would have to resort to doing
49 > some digging...
50 >
51 > ~harring
52 --
53 Lares Moreau <lares.moreau@×××××.com> | LRU: 400755 http://counter.li.org
54 Gentoo x86 Arch Tester | ::0 Alberta, Canada
55 Public Key: 0D46BB6E @ subkeys.pgp.net | Encrypted Mail Prefered
56 Key fingerprint = 0CA3 E40D F897 7709 3628 C5D4 7D94 483E 0D46 BB6E