From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:07:14
1 Grobian wrote:
2 > On 02-01-2006 21:12:03 +0100, Patrick Lauer wrote:
3
4 >>We already have a mission statement - to produce the best software
5 >>distribution, ever ;-)
6 >>Wether it should be Linux only, GNU-based or a metadistribution is a
7 >>rather touchy subject, so please try to keep the discussion
8 >>civilized ...
11 > Lance mentioned something about what he sees is a niche where Gentoo
12 > does quite well. "Produce the best software distribution, ever" sounds
13 > a bit vague to me. That's why I agree with Lance for now. Maybe after
14 > a little research, trial and error period it turns out to be better to
15 > keep the target vague.
16
17 Yeah, if we're content to being a hobbyist distro, then that mission
18 statement will work. But, the technology behind Gentoo has far broader
19 benefits for various things. Especially with the recent work of the alt
20 related subprojects, embedded, etc ... its changing. Like for me, I
21 would love to use the portage technology to build packages for solaris
22 machines I maintain at work. We have a build system currently, but its
23 nothing like portage. Gentoo is more than just Linux now and we should
24 have goals that fit that. When I say "we have a niche we're perfect at",
25 I'm mainly referring to the source-based nature of our OS. There isn't
26 another distro out there that does it as well as us and we should
27 improve on that fact. Let the other distros get better at being
28 binary-based.
29
30 Anyways, thats my thoughts.
33 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
34 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
35
36 ---
37 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
38 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
39
40 ramereth/irc.freenode.net