From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:51:13
1 On 02-01-2006 21:12:03 +0100, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > > If it isn't one person, then you would need to find two persons or even
3 > > more that are completely aligned and have the same visions. Since
4 > > leaders usually are charismatic and controversial where necessary to
5 > > achieve their goals, it is hard to find two that don't get conflicts,
6 > > stalling any vision to become a mission.
7 > To extrapolate from that ... council etc. are incapable of doing "real
8 > work"? ;-) Or in other words, a person is smart, people are dumb
9
10 Your words here. I don't follow your logic, and I don't see where your
11 statement comes from. I want to make explicit that -- in any case -- I
12 didn't mean my words like that.
13
14 > > > > Dunno, maybe I'm the loner here thinking this...
15 > > > Maybe a bit idealistic, but I mostly agree :-)
16 > >
17 > > Well, you're not alone for sure ;) However, the amount of measures to
18 > > take, why and what are a bit of an open question to me. I do, however,
19 > > share your concerns of a missing 'Mission Statement'. It is a commonly
20 > > known problem and primary point of concern (ie. Heene).
21 > I guess we should decide on a problem before solving it :-)
22 > Is the problem the lack of a mission statement? I don't see the need for
23 > that, we all have our own definitions what a Gentoo is and why it's
24 > cool. Trying to get that defined will be really tricky (and I predict a
25 > smallish flamewar)
26
27 I reinserted your first response. It looks like you changed your mind
28 inbetween to me, and that you probably don't agree 'mostly' anymore?
29
30 > We already have a mission statement - to produce the best software
31 > distribution, ever ;-)
32 > Wether it should be Linux only, GNU-based or a metadistribution is a
33 > rather touchy subject, so please try to keep the discussion
34 > civilized ...
35
36 Lance mentioned something about what he sees is a niche where Gentoo
37 does quite well. "Produce the best software distribution, ever" sounds
38 a bit vague to me. That's why I agree with Lance for now. Maybe after
39 a little research, trial and error period it turns out to be better to
40 keep the target vague.
44 Fabian Groffen
45 --
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list