From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] No 'real' editor in /bin ?
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:56:10
1 Well I haven't noticed till now, but there is no real editor in /bin to use
2 when you have to recover the system. Of course you can use ed or sed to edit
3 whatever file you have to, but if that's what you want then why have nano on
4 the install cd :) The problem of course only arises when /usr can't be
5 mounted (being an nfs mount or whatever).
6
7 So wouldn't it be wise to either install nano in /bin if that's gentoo's
8 default editor *sigh* or put vi into /bin as you normally know that on any
9 unix the one editor that's always there is vi. (no I'm not neccessarily
10 talking vim tho it can be made quite small too :))
13 Alex
16 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
17 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
18 Benjamin Franklin