From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] things becoming better and better
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 19:07:30
1 On 19/03/18 18:48, Toralf Förster wrote:
2 > honestly.
5 > When I started with my tinderbox 2 or 3 years ago I had often a fair
6 > amount of manual work to made to get an image up and running - moslty
7 > tweaking USE flags to get blockers being solved. This yielded into a
8 > growing list of fixed USE flags settings for certain packages.
9 >
10 > But over the time this list became small and smaller and eventually this
11 > month I kicked off the last few lines (famous last words?).
12 >
13 > Said that Gentoo has IMO a lot of success stories to tell too (beside
14 > the usual grumblings and annoyances) - and the quality of the Gentoo
15 > tree is IMO an example of that.
18 > /me was just in the mood for a statement like this
19 >
20 I think I speak for many readers of this list, in echo'ing a big
21 thank-you for your efforts on the Tinderbox project. Gentoo has been
22 slow to move to more automated testing methods, and this is a huge leap
23 forward in this regard. Hopefully, moving forward there will be less
24 human effort required to extend and maintain the tree of packages on
25 which we depend, and together with QA, huge strides forward are being
26 made to achieve this end.
27
28 It is quite useful to have a consistent means to test packages, and to
29 this end, hopefully we can eliminate some of the randomness that having
30 a very flexible build system creates!
31
32 Onwards and upwards ...