From: "Dawid Węgliński" <cla@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: net-im/pidgin protocols
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:12:26
1 Dnia 23-07-2007, pon o godzinie 13:38 +0200, Christian Faulhammer
2 napisał(a):
3 > "Eric Polino" <aluink@×××××.com>:
4 >
5 > > Would it be possible to have all the protocols for net-im/pidgin
6 > > turned on by default. We often get people coming to #pidgin looking
7 > > for help as to why they can't get MSN or some other protocol working.
8 > > It most often is because they haven't enabled the given protocol USE
9 > > flag.
10 >
11 > Without doubting the decision made about the msn USE flag, here are
12 > some quotes from a bug report:
13 >
14 > "I am not sure if it's a bug ...
15 > anyway, at least on AMD64 you have removed MSN protocol.
16 > Right now I am avoiding an upgrade because the flag has been marked as
17 > not usable.[...]"
18 >
19 > [Some discussion later]
20 >
21 > "If I see (-msn%*) and as far as I know it means that you are removing
22 > the protocol." [Editor's note: (-msn%) means that the USE flag has been
23 > removed and was not enabled]
24 >
25 > [Even more bitching]
26 >
27 > "Otherwise, if this was not the case, it's not written anywhere that
28 > this flag is incorporated .... oh, yes I know it is in the Changelog,
29 > and I have read it before filing this bug, but come on ... that's not
30 > the point. In this case, you should do like skype, i.e.: emerge pidgin
31 > (msn) (yahoo) (icq) spell tcl tk -avahi -bonjour ... and so far and so
32 > on ... and you should not delete/remove the flag in the way you did.
33 >
34 > Licq still uses msn flag .... so I user may understand that licq is the
35 > only software supporting MSN."
36 That's why we do have ChangeLogs and --changelog switch to let users
37 know about changes.
38 > V-Li
41 Regards
42 --