From: Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: net-im/pidgin protocols
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:41:55
1 "Eric Polino" <aluink@×××××.com>:
2
3 > Would it be possible to have all the protocols for net-im/pidgin
4 > turned on by default. We often get people coming to #pidgin looking
5 > for help as to why they can't get MSN or some other protocol working.
6 > It most often is because they haven't enabled the given protocol USE
7 > flag.
8
9 Without doubting the decision made about the msn USE flag, here are
10 some quotes from a bug report:
11
12 "I am not sure if it's a bug ...
13 anyway, at least on AMD64 you have removed MSN protocol.
14 Right now I am avoiding an upgrade because the flag has been marked as
15 not usable.[...]"
16
17 [Some discussion later]
18
19 "If I see (-msn%*) and as far as I know it means that you are removing
20 the protocol." [Editor's note: (-msn%) means that the USE flag has been
21 removed and was not enabled]
22
23 [Even more bitching]
24
25 "Otherwise, if this was not the case, it's not written anywhere that
26 this flag is incorporated .... oh, yes I know it is in the Changelog,
27 and I have read it before filing this bug, but come on ... that's not
28 the point. In this case, you should do like skype, i.e.: emerge pidgin
29 (msn) (yahoo) (icq) spell tcl tk -avahi -bonjour ... and so far and so
30 on ... and you should not delete/remove the flag in the way you did.
31
32 Licq still uses msn flag .... so I user may understand that licq is the
33 only software supporting MSN."
34
35 V-Li
38 http://www.gentoo.org/