From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:30:54
1 On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 22:46 +0200, Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 > > I've no personal problem with arch teams sometimes needing to do their
4 > > own thing, provided it's confined to a specific class of package.
5 > > Outside of the core packages required to boot & maintain a platform,
6 > > when is there ever a need for arch maintainers to decide that they know
7 > > better than package maintainers?
8 >
9 > I assume you're talking of the case where arch team and maintainer's arch are
10 > the same. I think normally package maintainers can decide better whether their
11 > package should go stable on their arch than an arch team, as they get all the
12 > bugs for it. On the other hand, we can't define a "maintainer arch" in many
13 > cases, so either we leave the authority to the arch team or we'll just have an
14 > x86 arch team without the expected effects.
15
16 I still think that the concept of a "maintainer arch" is completely
17 broken anyway. I like the idea of adding something like a "maint"
18 KEYWORD, or something similar to mark that the ebuild is considered
19 "stable" material by the maintainer. We can't rely on the maintainer
20 using *any* arch as their main architecture. Take myself, as an
21 example. The architecture I use when doing maintenance and adding new
22 packages is just whatever machine I happen to be using. It could be
23 x86, amd64, ppc, hppa, sparc, or mips, and there's no rhyme nor reason
24 to which I am using at any point in time. This is becoming a more
25 common occurrence that our developers have machines across many
26 architectures. Personally, I don't think this should be an added
27 KEYWORD, so much as a variable within the ebuild. I'd hate to start
28 seeing users filing bugs using "maint" as their "arch" or adding maint
29 to their USE flags. Just remember that if it is possible, somebody will
30 do it... ;]
33 Chris Gianelloni
35 Games - Developer
36 Gentoo Linux