From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:46:17
1 On Tuesday 06 September 2005 16:28, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > I still think that the concept of a "maintainer arch" is completely
3 > broken anyway. I like the idea of adding something like a "maint"
4 > KEYWORD, or something similar to mark that the ebuild is considered
5 > "stable" material by the maintainer. We can't rely on the maintainer
6 > using *any* arch as their main architecture. Take myself, as an
7 > example. The architecture I use when doing maintenance and adding new
8 > packages is just whatever machine I happen to be using. It could be
9 > x86, amd64, ppc, hppa, sparc, or mips, and there's no rhyme nor reason
10 > to which I am using at any point in time. This is becoming a more
11 > common occurrence that our developers have machines across many
12 > architectures. Personally, I don't think this should be an added
13 > KEYWORD, so much as a variable within the ebuild. I'd hate to start
14 > seeing users filing bugs using "maint" as their "arch" or adding maint
15 > to their USE flags. Just remember that if it is possible, somebody will
16 > do it... ;]
17
18 I think those silly users could be handled similarly as those who use
19 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="*" or similar.
20
21 Paul
24 Paul de Vrieze