From: "Peter Volkov (pva)" <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] i18n project
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 08:03:31
1 On Сбт, 2006-06-10 at 15:11 +0200, Jan Kundrát wrote:
2 > a) Translation of metadata.xml stuff in our tree (Is there any method to
3 > keep them up-to-date when the English text changes? Something like
4 > "revision" attribute that gets bumped when the English text gets updated?)
5
6 While we do not have "version" or "revision" attribute, just drop all
7 translations whenever you update English.
8
9 > c) l10n for other packages and sending patches upstream
10 > d) Translation of manpages. man-pages-cs for example sucks :(.
11
12 Do we really need to do this inside Gentoo i18n project? This tasks are
13 common for many distributions and should be done outside Gentoo. So just
14 translate and send translations upstream.
15
16 > e) Translation of our documentation (that's the GDP's job, the intention
17 > is just to "share human resources" :) ) and GWN.
18 >
19 > f) Translation/localization of w.g.o. Efforts were already started
20 > (meaning that "the technology is available on at least one experimental
21 > site).
22
23 Opposed to c) and d) this requires organization inside Gentoo and thus
24 requires i18n project. Fex, to increase the profit from translated GWN
25 translated versions should come out together with English one.
26
27 > e) Persuading people that having comments in configuration files
28 > *without* an equivalent somewhere on the web is evil. Good example might
29 > be baselayout. Why? Stuff on the web can be translated pretty easily,
30 > configuration files can't.
31
32 Personally I do not like idea to look at web for package documentation.
33 There already exist decision to put all example files somewhere
34 into /usr/share. I hope one day this happens and then all translated
35 configuration files also can be put there.
36
37 I think the main goal of i18n should be not translation but organization
38 (at least at first time). Untranslated staff will always remain because
39 devs have lack of time/interest and project can nothing to do with that.
40 But people post bugs with translated metadata, translated documentation
41 and to resolve them we need place to find the right devs for this. And
42 i18n project is the right place to look for them.
43
44 Peter.