From: Heinrich Wendel <sysop@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: metadata.xml - emerge rsync
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:16:44
1 Philippe Lafoucrière wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I'am just wondering about something. I've red here that emerge rsync
6 > causes some bandwidth problems. Why don't use a general metadata.xml
7 > file which contains all metadata about ebuilds.
8 >
9 > This could be (sorry for the fast & dirty exemple):
10 >
11 > <root>
12 > <dev-python desc="Dev tools for python">
13 > <somepackage desc="python tool for ...">
14 >
15 > <pkgmetadata>[...]</pkgmetadata>
16 >
17 > <herd>[...]</herd>
18 >
19 > <ebuild>MyEbuild-v0.1-r1</ebuild>
20 > <ebuild>MyEbuild-v0.1-r2</ebuild>
21 > <ebuild stat="masked">MyEbuild-v0.1-r3</ebuild>
22 > </somepackage>
23 > </dev-python>
24 > <other-category>
25 > ...
26 > </other-category>
27 > </root>
28 >
29 > This file could be automaintened with all metadata.xml, and ebuilds
30 > present in repository.
31 > Then, an emerge rsync would get a gzipped version of this file, gunzip
32 > it, and make a diff with the local file.
33 > It can remove old ebuilds, and fetch the new ones (maybe gzipped too !).
34 >
35 > I hope I was clear, my english is not what it used to be :)
36
37 I don't see the advantage of this method, as rsync only fetches files that
38 were changed.
41 > Philippe
42 mfg, Heinrich :)
46 > --