From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 23:24:09
1 On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 17:02 -0600, Joe Peterson wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > wrong. bash and GNU prevail because they provide useful extensions. it may
4 > > be worthwhile to force `find` in the portage environment to be GNU find so we
5 > > can stop wasting time trying to figure out how to rewrite expressions in
6 > > ebuilds (which can be done trivially with GNU) with a limited functionality
7 > > set (such as POSIX).
8 >
9 > Shouldn't we do just the opposite? GNU find doesn't exist on all archs
10 > (BSD is an example). There was just an example of GNU extensions being
11 > used on find that broke on FreeBSD. It would be more portable to
12 > *avoid* GNU-only extensions in ebuilds.
13
14 I would argue that both are hackish workarounds and the correct solution
15 is to get upstream to accept patches so that we shouldn't need to use
16 funky find extensions, BSD or otherwise.
17
18 Thanks
19
20 Roy