From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 01:08:10
1 Roy Marples wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 17:02 -0600, Joe Peterson wrote:
4 >> Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 >> > wrong. bash and GNU prevail because they provide useful extensions.
6 >> > it may be worthwhile to force `find` in the portage environment to be
7 >> > GNU find so we can stop wasting time trying to figure out how to
8 >> > rewrite expressions in ebuilds (which can be done trivially with GNU)
9 >> > with a limited functionality set (such as POSIX).
10 >>
11 >> Shouldn't we do just the opposite? GNU find doesn't exist on all archs
12 >> (BSD is an example). There was just an example of GNU extensions being
13 >> used on find that broke on FreeBSD. It would be more portable to
14 >> *avoid* GNU-only extensions in ebuilds.
15 >
16 > I would argue that both are hackish workarounds and the correct solution
17 > is to get upstream to accept patches so that we shouldn't need to use
18 > funky find extensions, BSD or otherwise.
19 >
20 If you have the patches and can make it work consistently on all gentoo
21 platforms, imo you should just do a custom find for gentoo. Distributing it
22 to users won't be an issue, and by standardising here you can prove the
23 benefits, while saving your devs a load of time.
24
25 Although, I have to ask: what is so terrible about installing GNU findutils?
26 Personally I'd just build in a chroot if the pollution were that bad.
27 (AFAICT the whole point of GNU stuff is to have a consistent Free
28 foundation. But like you said, that's next month ;P)
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list