From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:12:15
1 On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 07:49:21 -0500 Dan Meltzer
2 <parallelgrapefruit@×××××.com> wrote:
3 | Apparently it does. How many huge threads have you seen lately that
4 | accomplished nothing? How many threads have people started with great
5 | ideas, only to give up in disgust because people cause a huge fuss
6 | about small details, and nothing ever gets accomplished? Quite a few.
7
8 Most of them get somewhere, eventually. They'd get there a bit faster
9 if we booted you, Duncan, Nathan and Alec from the lists, but I guess
10 the cost of doing that wouldn't be worth the gain. Sure, the odd thread
11 ends up going nowhere, but that's usually when the original idea isn't
12 implementable.
13
14 Look at the news GLEP, for example. Half the replies are worthless
15 drivel from morons. The remainder is extremely useful input. The GLEP
16 in its original form wouldn't have worked -- heck, I knew that when I
17 posted it for review. But it's getting there, and after another round
18 or two we'll end up with something that will work first time when it's
19 implemented. Better to spend a bit of time now having an extended
20 technical discussion (which differs from a flamefest, but only when you
21 look closely) than to go ahead and screw up the tree...
24 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (King of all Londinium)
25 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
26 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm