From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Trustless Infrastructure
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 17:46:22
1 On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 7:23 PM Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
2 > stores tree snapshots (and not differences). So all you need is exactly
3 > one signed commit to verify that
4 >
5 > - this is the full repository tree the developer saw at the time of the
6 > commit
7 > - this is the full history the developer saw at the time of the commit
8
9 I'm not sure this is as good, though. I don't think all developers
10 verify the whole tree before adding a signature on top. And this
11 leaves out file-level granularity, so I can't choose to distrust a
12 certain set of developers I know to have poor security practices and
13 have .asc files from those developers simply not verify. With the
14 extracted-git model, it winds up being "the most recent developer
15 signs everything for everybody". This is a bit weaker than what I've
16 proposed.