From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] a virtual advantage ?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:45:21
1 On Jun 26, 2011 6:56 PM, "Philip Webb" <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Yesterday, I upgraded 'xorg-drivers' to the latest stable 1.10
4 > & then found upon rebooting that X failed to recognise the keyboard.
5 > Yes, it's happened before & I was not surprised:
6 > I had to switch the machine off, reboot, login as root
7 > -- experience long ago made me avoid booting directly into a GUI --
8 > & recompile 'xf86-input-evdev', after which everything returned to normal.
9 > Yes, there's a warning after the new 'xorg-drivers' has been installed,
10 > but I wasn't sure exactly which pkg(s) needed remerging, so took the
11 chance.
12 >
13 > My point is that it looks -- to a naive user -- like a good opportunity
14 > for another 'virtual', which wb satisfied by Evdev or equivalent.
15 > This would avoid the problem when busy users miss the warning notice
16 > (see a current users' thread).
17 >
18 > Perhaps this would in turn need an extension of the 'virtual' concept,
19 > to require rebuilding of the relevant pkg to satisfy the main emerge.
20 > There is another thread today re 'revdep-rebuild' + Python + Perl,
21 > which seems to cover a bit of the same ground.
22 >
23 > Thanks as always to the devs for their conscientious unpaid efforts.
24 >
25 > --
27 > SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
28 > ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
29 > TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca
33 portage 2.2 has a nice set for that called @x11-module-rebuild :)
34
35 Alex | wired