From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rsync speed and space taken
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:14:08
1 On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:00:55 +0000 Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 | On Friday 22 October 2004 9:56 pm, Andrew Fant wrote:
3 | > I'm not sure that I would call that a cool benefit. It seems to
4 | > come close to an egregious violation of privacy. I know that there
5 | > is no promise of confidentiality in the use of the portage rsync
6 | > servers, but to actively and publicly start collecting data about
7 | > who is using what seems to only invite more paranoia.
8 | Except that it won't be able to reliably collect the "who" part, only
9 | the "what". Sure, you could log IPs, but many users IPs change more
10 | frequently than they sync.
11
12 Naah. You've got more than enough data to figure out who's doing what,
13 even if you don't look at IP at all. You know roughly when someone last
14 synced and you can track by what packages they previously had installed.
15 There's a looooot of information in that...
18 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
19 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
20 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm