From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Make inotify a global USE flag?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 12:10:18
1 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 >> Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >>> it should always be enabled with 'kernel_linux' and let the
4 >>> application itself do a runtime check if inotify is available or not
5 >>
6 >> I think it's great if you are working on such patches for upstreams!
7 >
8 > no, i'm talking from experience -- every package I've seen/touched/...
9 > with IUSE="inotify" has had code that made it safe to use also for
10 > non-inotify'd kernels
11 > i'm referring to the mistakes done by maintainers by adding
12 > unnecessarily the flag
13
14 That was not at all clear, but that's great! Then you could fix those
15 ebuilds. Except there's that rule to not fix bugs in others' ebuilds,
16 so even though you've found a bug you're not allowed to fix it.. :\
19 //Peter