From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Make inotify a global USE flag?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 12:03:40
1 On 21/03/13 13:43, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >> Should we make it a global flag?
4 >
5 > Sure.
6 >
7 >> What description is better:
8 >>
9 >> inotify - Enable inotify filesystem monitoring support
10 >> inotify - Enable inotify file change notification support
11 >
12 > The former is more correct, because inotify provides notifications
13 > for more than just file changes.
16 > Samuli Suominen wrote:
17 >> it should always be enabled with 'kernel_linux' and let the
18 >> application itself do a runtime check if inotify is available or not
19 >
20 > I think it's great if you are working on such patches for upstreams!
21
22 no, i'm talking from experience -- every package I've seen/touched/...
23 with IUSE="inotify" has had code that made it safe to use also for
24 non-inotify'd kernels
25 i'm referring to the mistakes done by maintainers by adding
26 unnecessarily the flag
27 cut the sarcasm :-)
28
29 - Samuli