From: Olivier Crete <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:35:19
1 Hi,
2
3 The main problem with the profiles approach is that need to keep all of
4 the "old" ebuilds for previous profiles in the tree, unnecessarily
5 bloating the tree and then we have the risk that package maintainers
6 will remove the stable packages after a while by mistake..
7
8 My favorite solution is the portage snapshot + overlay solution. Where
9 the gentoo-stable project makes a snapshot (like we already do on every
10 livecd), it could even be the same snapshot. And then maintain (in a new
11 tree) an overlay with only security fixes. This tree could then be
12 rsynced with gensync (or with a modified portage).
15 Olivier
16